1807 Info 6b: James Crompton
Stanley Frederick Linsley's ecclesiastical career

Close info window

Stanley Frederick LINSLEY - only child of Frederick and Maria

Stanley Frederick LINSLEY was the son of Frederick and Maria Blanche LINSLEY. He was educated at Bridlington School between 1915 and 1921. Family hearsay records that one of Sarah's grand children was a Canon of Lichfield Cathedral and that after his curacy he returned to Lichfield and to the Cathedral. Whilst the Cathedral records could not substantiate this Canon Owain Bell, of St. Mary's Kidderminster, confirmed that Stanley Frederick LINSLEY was a Prebendary of Lichfield, a post equivalent to Canon.

The records of Lichfield Theological College show:

Stanley Frederick LINSLEY was admitted to the college by the bishop on 24 October 1927. He passed the Durham matriculation in June 1928, his GDE part 1 in October 1928 and part 2 in March 1929. He was made deacon in the Trinity Term of 1929 and went to Holy Trinity, North Ormesby in the diocese of York.

Crockford's Clerical Directory for 1931 records:

Linsley Stanley Frederick
Univ London 1920  Lich Th. Coll 1927
d[deacon] 1929, p[riest] 1930 York c[urate] of N. Ormesby Dio. York from 1929
2, Constance Street, N. Ormesby, Middlesbrough
Ormesby North (Holy Trinity) Middlesbrough
GW Boddy Incumbent
SF Linsley Curate
Rev Stanley Frederick Linsley c.1935 - 16kB jpg

Left: Rev Stanley Frederick Linsley, circa 1935
Photo courtesy: Rev Dominic Black, vicar North Ormesby 2011


Shortly after his ordination, by Archbishop William Temple in York Minster, later Archbishop of Canterbury, local records show that following Lichfield he became, between 1929 and 1931, the curate of North Ormesby1 a parish due east of Middlesbrough. According to parishioner hearsay he was, between 1932 and 1937, the well respected vicar.

The phone book entries for Rev. S.F. LINSLEY shows his movements around the country. The 1935/36 phone book for North Yorkshire and South Durham records him as the ...
Vicar of North Ormesby. Rev SF Linsley phone book entry 1935 - 2kB gif
1807info6b, sheet 2
North Ormesby's list of clergy - 25kB jpg Rev Stanley Frederick Linsley with choir - 26kB jpg
Above: Rev Stanley Frederick Linsley with his North Ormesby choir
Photo: Rev Dominic Black
Left: North Ormesby's list of clergy

Hoverbox Photo Gallery - North Ormesby Church, December 2011

  1. North Ormesby Church 1896 and before the fire of Wednesday 12 October 1972. Photo courtesy: Rev. Dominic Black
  2. Interior of North Ormesby Church before the fire of 1972. Photo courtesy: Rev. Dominic Black
  3. Holy Trinity's notice board.
  4. Holy Trinity from the Market.
  5. Holy Trinity from the Market, showing the original south entrance built in1929.
  6. The Cloister Garden constructed 2007 in the wake of the fire.
  7. The modern 120 seat place of worship constructed in April 1980 at the east end of the old church.
  8. A modern map locating Holy Trinity, James Street, North Ormesby
1 2 3 4
 
 
5 6 7 8
1807info6a, sheet 3

The 1937/38 phone book for Stoke-on-Trent, North Staffordshire and South Cheshire records him as the:

Vicar of Tunstall, seven miles (11km) north-west of Stoke, until 1943 Rev SF Linsley phone book entry 1937 - 2kB gif

Hoverbox Photo Gallery - Christ Church, Tunstall, September 2012

1. Christ Church, Tunstall circa 1838 by TP Wood
2. Christ Church, Tunstall from Furlong Road
3. Christ Church, Tunstall from High Street
4. Christ Church Vicarage, 26 Stanley Street
5. Christ Church Vicarage, 26 Stanley Street
6. Housing off Stanley Street
7. Housing in Madeley Street, opposite Christ Church
8. Housing in Madeley Street, opposite Christ Church
1 2 3 4
 
 
5 6 7 8
Stanley Linsley's wedding 10 April 1950 - 37kB jpg On the 10 April 1950, at Edgmond Church, Shropshire, the Rev. Stanley Frederick LINSLEY married Joan Ivy MULLINER of Ellerdine, Shropshire (GRO ref: Wellington 9a 601), who was born on the 28 February 1921 (GRO ref: Wem 6a 1312). Her mother was a RAMSELL. Together they had one son and one daughter. John Lamplugh LINSLEY was born on the 26 February 1951 (Wellingborough 3b 315) and Marjorie Blanche Lamplugh LINSLEY on the 05 September 1952 (GRO ref: Wellington 9a 299)

Left: Rev. Stanley LINSLEY's wedding to Joan MULLINER, 10 April 1950
Source: Marjorie Comeau nee Linsley
1807info6b, sheet 4
Between 1958 and 1962 Stanley Frederick LINSLEY was the vicar of St Mary's and All Saints, Kidderminster and an industrial chaplain to the local carpet industry. In 1959 he became Rural Dean of Kidderminster and the Prebendary Emeritus of Lichfield Cathedral. We were shown round St Mary's by the Verger who had been married by the vicar, known respectfully as Preb. Linsley, for no charge.

Right: St Mary's and All Saints, Kidderminster - August 2013
St Mary's Kidderminster - 46kB jpg
Interior of St Mary's Kidderminster - 32kB jpg Tower of St Mary's Kidderminster - 33kB jpg
Above: Interior of St Mary's and all Saints, Kidderminster - August 2013 Above: Tower of St Mary's Kidderminster and all Saints, Kidderminster - August 2013
1807info6b, sheet 5
Ven. Stanley Linsley in his Queen Chaplain's cassock at South Otterington - 36kB jpg The Venerable Stanley F Linsley was one of the 36 Chaplains to her Majesty the Queen Elizabeth II, who formed the Royal Ecclesiastical Household and the College of Chaplains. They each preached in St. James Palace Chapel, Hampton-Court Palace and the Tower of London once a year.

Left: Ven. Stanley Linsley in his Queen Chaplain's cassock at South Otterington
Source: Marjorie Comeau née Linsley

The 1968 phone book of Middlesbrough, Newcastle and York records him as the:

Archdeacon of Cleveland living in South Otterington ten miles (16km) south of Northallerton. Rev SF Linsley phone book entry 1968 - 2kB gif
Aerial view of South Otterington Rectory - 51kB jpg
Above: Aerial view of South Otterington Rectory
1807info6b, sheet 6
Hoverbox Photo Gallery - South Otterington Church, December 2011
1. South Otterington church.
2. South Otterington Rectory drive, leading to the church.
3. South Otterington Rectory from the church.
1 2 3
 
  • 1965–74 - Archdeacon of Cleveland and Canon of Bilton, York Minster;
Right: Ven. Stanley Linsley (left) with Archbishop Donald Coggan, then Archbishop of York, and a newly ordained priest. Taken at an unknown church between 1965 and 1974
Source: Marjorie Comeau nee Linsley
Ven. Stanley Linsley with Archbishop Coggan - 34kB jpg

Publications


Stanley Frederick LINSLEY died on 14 December 1974 (GRO ref: Ryedale 2 2511) probably at the village of Marton, Sinnington, York YO62 6RD. His daughter Marjorie wrote 'My father was a remarkable man, much loved and respected by all who knew him': words that echo those of the North Ormesby parishioner reflecting on the beginning of Stanley Frederick LINSLEY's vocation.


Source:

1807info6b, sheet 6
Appendix 1  
Return to text Source: Adapted from 'A History of North Ormesby Parish Church', Trinity Centre at Holy Trinity Church

The Rev. Stanley Frederick Linsley’s parish – past and present
North Ormesby was planned by Mr. James White Worsley Pennyman of Ormesby Hall in the middle of the 19th century. It was to provide housing for workers employed in the heavy industries of Cochrane & Co's Ormesby Iron Works, and the foundries and engine works of Cochrane, Grove & Co. The turf for the first house was cut on 24 July 1854.

On 17 November 1858, a Day School was opened on the corner of Smeaton Street and West Terrace, due to the vision and energy of Mr James Stovin Pennyman, son of the founder. It was initially known as 'Pennyman School', and later as Smeaton Street School. The first church service took place in the school on Advent Sunday 28 November 1858. In the absence of clergy, due to illness of the Vicar of Ormesby, the service was taken by Mr; Pennyman himself.

The Pennyman family played a significant role in the early development of North Ormesby. Their influence can still be seen today, with many streets named after family members. Pennyman Street disappeared in a new housing development.

A Church is built
In 1859, the Revd. R.C. Smith became curate in charge of North Ormesby and the outlying portions of Middlesbrough. From this time, services of Holy Communion were held in North Ormesby on Sunday mornings.

In January 1861 the Revd. Vyvyan H Moyle undertook the duties of curate of North Ormesby. Lack of funds meant that the worshipping community was still based in the small school room. A report compiled by Rev. Moyle, in January 1865, shows the church was rapidly outgrowing the school room.

"There is no church in North Ormesby, with a population of over 2,000, still rapidly increasing. Services are held in a licensed School Room, on Sundays at 10.30am, 3pm and 6.30pm.The School Room only holds 160 and the Sunday services are always fully attended and people have several times to go away from want of room."

In 1868, the last year of his curacy, Revd. Moyle saw the foundation stone for the Parish Church of the Holy Trinity laid by the Archbishop of York. The Pennyman's were very involved in helping to raise the funds for the new church. James White Pennyman donated the land on which the church was to be built and gave a donation of £300. The total cost of constructing the church was £2,400.

The Church of the Holy Trinity was consecrated by the Archbishop of York on 26 November, 1869. The Daily Gazette of that day reports:
‘The church is built of the common brick of the district, relieved with coloured bricks in patterns at the gables, and with stone work in the windows. The building consists of a simple nave and aisle, with a porch on the north side. The south aisle has not been built, but will be added when required. The interior, which has a somewhat severe, though pleasing appearance is not relieved with carving of any kind, except plain and shallow mouldings at the capitals of the pillars. The roof is heavy and strong, and the chancel contains stalls for thirty choristers, besides seats for the priests. It is divided from the body of the church by a low wooden screen. The east window is of five lights. Sitting accommodation is provided for 450 persons, in open seats of stained and varnished deal.'

The Church Expands
Within ten years of the opening of the church, it was found to be too small. In spite of the trade depression a successful appeal for funds was made. A memorial stone to commence the extension was laid on 26 November 1879, the church's tenth anniversary by Mrs. Pennyman. (The stone can be seen at the base of the tower). The addition consisted of a new south aisle and transept and the lengthening of the building westwards. This increased the seating capacity of the building by over 300 and the appearance of the building was much improved. The church extension was opened on 22nd October 1880 by the Archbishop of York. A Vicarage house was also built in 1880; later becoming the 'Old Vic' pub on Ormesby Road. In 1894 the Church Hall was built. In 1925 an extension was built to the Lady Chapel at the east end of the south aisle. Four years later, in 1929 a porch was added to the south door at the cost of £399 18s. 6d (£399.92).
1807info6b, sheet 7
Return to text The Fire
On Wednesday 12 October 1977 a fire broke out at Holy Trinity Church. The northeast corner of the church was severely damaged. The fine 100 year old Harrison organ, which had recently been restored at the cost of £5,000, was destroyed. After extensive house to house enquiries, two young boys were charged with arson.

Worship and prayer was never interrupted. It took place in the Church Hall, people's homes or the Tower Chapel from October 1977 until December 1980.

The 21st Century
By the turn of the millennium, the old church hall, built in 1894 was beginning to show its age. The decision was taken to demolish the building and begin a new church and community centre to North Ormesby at a cost of £840 000.

Building work commenced with a turf cutting ceremony, on 04 February 2002. The modern multi- purpose facility, was opened on 18th December 2003.

In 2007, thirty years after the devastating fire the Cloister Garden was created with sensory plantings and facilities for reflection and prayer.

From personal experience, on a cold market day visitors will receive a warm welcome, at the Trinity Centre.
Back to TOP
Back to James Crompton's tree
Close info window
Use portrait to print
This page was created by Richard Crompton
and maintained by Chris Glass
Version A.4
Updated 06 September 2013